Saturday, January 21, 2012

Stories, Part 2


The Caveau at Chexbres.

This week we went to a local bar. Well, the local bar. There might be another one in the restaurant on the main street, but I'm not too sure. Anyway. The local bar is the "Caveau du Coeur d'Or," and old wine cave that has been turned into a bar/concert space. You can see it to the left there. It still has the rough stone walls and vaulted ceiling of the wine cave. Most (if not all) of the furniture and bar equipment is made from old wine barrels or presses, and you get the sense that they really had been used. The barman and owner, Remy, serves local wine that is, and I guess I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was, very good. He also makes tapenades, charcuterie, cheeseplates, and cherries preserved in kirsch that are more than worth the detour. Ok, I have to admit here that I have only tried the cherries, but I have been told that the rest is worth the detour! I will be heading back for the tapenade very soon.

What struck me the most-- and I still can't really wrap my head around it-- was the diversity in ages in the bar that night. The clientele varied from probably 17 to 70, with what I would say was an almost even representation of ages. The adolescents and college students were happily interacting with the patrons their parents age or older; I even got the impression that a few were there with their parents or grandparents. Imagine!

We had good wine, ambiance out the wazoo, lively company, and superlative cherries in kirsch. It was one of those moments where I felt privileged to be just where I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment